WHO WE AREThis is an exciting time to work at Oregon Ballet Theatre (OBT), one of the nation’s leading ballet companies. We are emerging from the pandemic in a position of strength and well-positioned for the future. We are financially solid and debt free. Our Board is actively engaged in oversight and stewardship. Our 250 employees are resilient, committed and energized. Programmatically, OBT is robust. Our professional company of 26 dancers perform a season of five shows featuring both classical and contemporary work. OBT2, our junior company, boasts 18 dancers of exceptional talent. Our nationally-renowned School continues training 250 students from across the county. And our community education program reaches tens of thousands of students in classrooms across Oregon.
OBT is supported by an actively engaged Board, respected executive leadership, 250 committed and talented staff, healthy finances, and a pre-pandemic budget approaching $9 million. For more information, recent news, and a full job description, information, visit: www.obt.org.
EQUITYOBT is committed to the vitality of ballet as an art form that is accessible to everyone. We seek people who have lived, volunteer and/or have professional experience partnering, communicating, and engaging with communities of color, including Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, and other communities.
RESPONSIBLITIESOregon Ballet Theatre (OBT) School is recognized nationally for excellence in classical ballet training. The School Director is responsible for managing and growing OBT’s robust and well-established program of over 300 beginning, professional, and adult students. Reporting to the Artistic Director and Executive Director, the School Director designs, plans, and implements ballet education, develops policies and programs that produce well trained and well-rounded students, and manages and mentors instructors, accompanists, and administrative staff.
The School Director is responsible to ensure that OBT meets the following goals: 1) our School has a clear identity and is known for excellence in classical ballet; 2) our training produces better equipped and more well-rounded students; 3) our students, instructors and instruction are inclusive and culturally responsive; and 4) our School grows in size and scope, and generates net gain.
The School Director is a member of OBT’s senior management team, participating in decision-making for the organization and providing exemplary leadership. In turn, this position requires collaboration with many OBT internal departments and some external organizations.
The School Director serves as a representative of OBT with students, their families, and other stakeholders, and is a dedicated pedagogue with a proven track record of training ballet dancers from a young age and placing them as apprentices, company members, or in top schools. They have a thorough knowledge and commitment to the forms and techniques of classical ballet; established contacts in the national community of schools and companies; and a strong and inspiring presence in the studio, with an ability to motivate students to excellence.
This position directly supports OBT’s mission and reflects the organization’s core values and highest ethical standards.
- Ensure consistent excellence of instruction by instructors
- Ensure excellent customer service to families and students
- Provide an affirming, supportive developmental experience for students
- Grow the School, including enrollment and revenue
- Expand School offerings and increase diversity of training
- Diversify School enrollment, including students of color
- Partner and collaborate with all OBT departments to support OBT-wide goals
- Partner with Development to support fundraising for the School
- Develop and monitor the annual school budget, and produce net income annually
- Establish the school policies, calendar, class schedule, and syllabus
- Produce the annual school performance
- Teach company class as needed
- Hire, train, and evaluate instructors and accompanists
- Evaluate students and prepare progress reports
- Determine school level placements with the assistance of the faculty
- Prepare OBT School for certifications
- Oversee the school scholarship program
- Oversee the school wellness program
- Communicate regularly and effectively with parents and students
- Serve as an ambassador for the School and OBT
- Respect for children and understanding of human development
- 10 + years of ballet training with professional experience at the soloist level or above with a national, regional or international company
- 5 + years experience teaching ballet
- Experience managing a ballet school and supervising other instructors in a ballet program
- Ability to design, plan, and direct ballet education programs using specific, sequential curricula
- Knowledge of ballet pedagogy
- Skill in teaching ballet at all levels
- Ability to evaluate student progress
- Financial acumen, inlcusing ability to develop and monitor an annual budget
- HR acumen, including managerial and supervisory experience
- Ability to work as a collaborative team player
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a high degree of professionalism and emotional maturity
- Ability to influence, build consensus and productively engage with staff, students, and families
- Commitment to advancing racial diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience engaging and partnering with people of color, including Black, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian, and other communities
This position starts at $85,000-$90,000 annually. Benefits include: employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; and 23 days off annually (15 days PTO and 8 holidays). In addition, employees may elect and self-fund the following benefits: 403(b) retirement plans; short-term and/or long-term disability insurance; flexible spending account for health-related expenses and/or childcare; and additional life insurance.
Email cover letter, resume and salary history to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and the position will remain open until filled. A full job description can be obtained HERE.
Hero banner image by Yi Yin