OBT L.A.B. (Learn About Ballet) | K-2
Fully-Funded Dance Integration Program for Your School
Attention teachers of Kindergarten, First and Second Grades!
OBT L.A.B. (Learn About Ballet) provides up to ten dance residency sessions per classroom, field trips to student matinee performances, and a tour of OBT Studios to students at no cost to the school!
In addition, OBT L.A.B. provides opportunities for classroom teachers to grow arts integration within their curriculum, using extensively trained teaching artists as resources and collaborators.
While there is no charge to schools, the partnership asks that the classroom teachers collaborate with teaching artists, ensuring dance content integrates with classroom content. Also, schools provide an open space for dance sessions (described below).
We offer OBT L.A.B. to 2-4 Title I schools per year that have interest in dance/arts learning.
This fully grant funded program has been in existence since 2006, serving over 35 Title 1 schools. OBT L.A.B. has partnered with schools in Beaverton School District, Centennial School District, David Douglas School District, Gresham-Barlow School District, Parkrose School District, Portland Public School District, and Reynolds School District.
OBT LAB GOALS:
- To provide access to for students and schools who are interested in dance/arts learning.
- To engage students in kinesthetic learning of curriculum, especially in Science, Language Arts and SEL learning.
- To deepen students understanding and awareness of their body as a tool for communication.
- To serve as a resource for classroom teachers.
- To bring movement and fun to students and teachers!
- A creative movement residency with an OBT teaching artist
- Ten sessions for each kindergarten, first, second grade class
- Dance curriculum that supports classroom learning
- No charge field trips to OBT Student Performance Series, transportation included
- No charge field trip to OBT Studios to see dancers training, costumes in the making, other behind-the-scenes elements, transportation included (2nd grades only)
- Planning meeting with classroom teachers and teaching artists
- Open space and scheduling for dance residency (ie. gym, multi-purpose room, etc)
- Classroom teachers complete initial survey at beginning and feedback survey at end of program
- Teacher participation in dance residency (participation comes in many forms)
- Scheduling of school buses to OBT field trips (invoice OBT for payment)